Friday, May 12, 2017

Tommy's Italian Sausage, Elizabeth


   While growing up in Staten Island, NY in the 60's & 70's, I was not exposed to the wonders of an Italian hot dog.  My first experience was shared with my girlfriend (eventually "wife of 30 years"!) at this establishment that Hot Dog Heaven has called: "NJ's Best Italian Hot Dog".  I'm talking about Tommy's Italian Sausage in Elizabeth, NJ.  They stuff a half pita bread with either 1, 2 or 3 hot dogs (I recommend the "Double").  Sauted peppers & onions are added to the pita along with an incredible heaping mound of crispy fried potatoes, sliced 1/8" thick, and topped with ketchup.

   The challenge of this dog is figuring out how to get to the meat under all those potatoes!!  I have always used the small wooden fork (provided) to eat & enjoy about 2/3rds of the potato slices before I had a manageable sandwich to lift to my mouth.  It seems like the only civilized way to eat this behemoth without ending up in a ketchupy mess!!  I have had italian hot dogs at other stands who prefer to use potato wedges or, in some cases, fries.  I greatly prefer these potato slices and have to agree that Tommy's prepares one of the best Italians in NJ.


No comments:

Post a Comment