Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Broadway Hot Dogs, Fair Lawn


     What a treat this visit was!!  The owner has a real passion for hot dogs and has designed a menu which underlines that passion.  Your first clue is that they offer every one of their hot dog styles with your choice of a steamed Sabrett's dog or a grilled Thumann's dog.  The standard varieties all ring in between $2-$3.  The specialty dogs (including the 2 pictured below) were only $4.50, which I thought was a pretty good deal.

     I selected the grilled Thumann's for my Pretzel Dog (right).  After adding a line of Sabrett's brown mustard this meal was a real treat!  The delicious dog was no surprise but the soft, salty pretzel bun was an outstanding compliment.  Only a tiny bit more difficult to handle than a normal bun, this selection was both filling and delicious.

     On the left you'll see their Italian hot dog.  They use a quarter pound Sabrett dog and serve it on a hollowed sub roll rather than the more traditional pizza dough.  The onions and tri-color peppers were sauteed nicely and were mixed with cubed, fried potatoes(I typically prefer the sliced potatoes).  Notwithstanding the deviation from Newark tradition, I must admit that this was one very tasty IHD!!  I applaud their willingness to make their menu their own and was very pleased with my selections.  This will definitely be a repeat stop!

***  UPDATE:  Sadly, as of May 2018, Broadway Hot Dogs has closed its doors...

2 comments:

  1. Do you prefer the pretzl roll over a normal roll?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do prefer the pretzel roll, but as more of a "treat".. I couldn't eat 3-4 dogs all on pretzel rolls!

      Delete