Saturday, March 3, 2012

Rutt's Hut, Clifton, NJ

     This establishment has been a staple in New Jersey Hot Dog lore for many years.  Although I was not privy to the product of Rutt's Hut ministrations, I have heard this eatery extolled as a purveyor of quality frank fare for many years.  I was very excited to visit this hot dog Mecca and had great expectations upon entering its doors.

     Let me start by pointing out that Rutt's Hut offers a selection of frosty brews to accompany your food order.  Such ability is never to be underestimated!  A nice cold Bud washes anything down quite effectively...

     Secondly, the relish provided is without a doubt, one of the highlights of this culinary experience.  I could clearly detect mustard, cabbage, onions & finely chopped carrots.  This mixture was able to transform (almost) any menu item into a juicy, palatable treat!!

     The dogs here are deep fried until the skin rips and crinkles.  This provides the name of Rutt's most famous hot dog, the "Ripper".  The crevices resulting from those welts are very effective at cradling the relish.  To eat one plain is a little unnerving in my opinion,,, the texture simply wasn't aesthetically pleasing.

     For those who like their dogs crispy, you may want to try the "Weller" (for well done).  My son was pleased with this choice, but I have a feeling that his liberal use of relish and the accompanying Bud were instrumental in that assessment.

     Finally, number 1 son talked his little brother into trying the "Cremator".  The name says it all!!  This tube steak was left in that vat of oil until it was stiffer than the tongs used to remove it.  There was no trace of moisture left in this dog.  It literally went into the trash after one bite!

     I didn't find out about the option of an "In & Outer" until later.  If I find myself in Clifton with a hankering for weenies, I would give Rutt's another try.  Anyplace that has developed such a strong following as Rutt's Hut is worthy of a second chance.  But for this hot dog tour, it has not landed near the top of my list.


No comments:

Post a Comment